Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mr Blair Is A Sick Whale Or A Fading King, And The Courtiers Are Growing Restless

Much as I enjoy pointless cruelty, the sight of the Prime Minister, Mr Blair, struggling to resist retirement, has been a painful one. When he doesn't resemble the bronchial Thames whale, being coaxed into open water by a caravanserai of insincere well-wishers, he is like King Lear pondering his departure from the stage. I picture him at breakfastin Number 10 Downing Street, tormented by his diminishing power, and seeking solace in the company of a Fool, or Mr David Miliband. "O, let me not be mad," he will be telling Mr Miliband (dressed, as usual in jester's hat), "not mad, sweet heaven. Keep me in temper: I would not be mad!"
At which point, from stage left, enter Mr Brown. "How now!" Mr Blair exclaims wanly, smashing the top of his boiled egg. "Are the horses ready?"

3 comments:

Learson said...

If Blair is Lear, then it's the version in which the tragic monarch is played by Kenneth Williams with direction by Tommy Cooper.

bondbloke said...

Thank you for the best laugh I have had in a while, such biting satire is to be applauded; I bow to the master...

Kirk Elder said...

Thank you, Mr Bondbloke. You are, as ever, too kind.